ASHEVILLE TEA PAC
******************** Adopted on December 16, 2010******************
Mission Statement: Our purpose in forming “the Asheville Tea PAC” (ATPAC) is to legally enable our support and promotion of those candidates for political office who best advance the core values of the Asheville Tea Party; those being specifically the promotion and preservation of individual rights, Constitutionally-limited government, fiscal responsibility, and free markets.
ARTICLE I – NAME
1. The name of the organization shall be Asheville Tea PAC.
ARTICLE II – ORGANIZATION
1. Asheville Tea PAC shall be organized as a nonprofit corporation under the laws of the State of North Carolina Board of Elections.
2. Asheville Tea PAC. shall be further organized as a tax-exempt political action committee under state and federal law.
ARTICLE III – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1. The Board of Directors shall consist of nine members and serve without compensation.
2. Board members shall serve indefinite terms until such time as a member resigns, dies, or is removed by a 2/3 majority vote of all Board members. A 2/3 majority vote shall constitute a 6 to 3 vote.
3. Removal shall be used only in cases where the member can no longer perform his or her duties due to incapacitation or other reasons, has neglected his or her duties, or has operated in a manner detrimental to the organization. In the case of actions detrimental to the organization: The said Board member will be informed in writing by the Chairman, or in case of the absence of the Chairman, the Vice-chairman, of his/her actions that are detrimental to the principles, or good standing, or to the function of the Board or the organization of Asheville Tea PAC. If the action(s) deemed detrimental are not corrected, removal process of the Board member will follow.
4. Vacancies shall be filled by at least six board members voting in favor of the new member. A Board member sponsorship and background check are required for new Board member consideration.
ARTICLE IV – MANAGEMENT
1. The Board of Directors shall appoint, by majority vote of all Board members, a Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the organization, who will constitute two of the nine Board members.
2. The Chairman shall serve at the pleasure of the Board, and can be removed by a 2/3 vote of all Board members.
3. The Chairman or in the absence of the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman shall conduct the day to day operations of the organization.
4. The Chairman or in the absence of the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman (or designee) shall be the spokesman for the organization.
5. The following activities shall require approval by the Board by simple majority of Board members present: If Board meeting is not possible, Chairman will make every effort to contact all members to obtain approval of:
a. All budgets
b. All non-budgeted expenditures in excess of $200
c. All organized issue advocacy efforts
d. All direct or indirect expenditures on behalf of any issue
e. All Projects and Project Managers
ARTICLE V – BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETINGS
1. The Board of Directors shall meet a minimum of four times per year.
2. Meetings may be held in person, by phone, online, or any combination thereof.
3. The Chairman, or in the absence of the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman shall organize the meetings in such a way as to accommodate the schedules of all Board members.
4. The Chairman, or in the absence of the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman or appropriate designee shall prepare financial reports for each Board meeting, and any other reports or information requested by Board members.
5. Minutes of the meetings shall be kept and made available to the Board.
ARTICLE VI – VOTING
1. Two-thirds (or six members) of the Board constitutes a quorum to conduct business.
2. All votes shall be made directly by the Board members and there shall be no proxy voting.
3. Passage of a motion requires a simple majority of the Board members present, except for:
a. Removal of a Board member (Article III)
b. Filling a vacancy on the Board of Directors (Article III)
c. Appointment or removal of the Chairman (Article IV)
d. Amending these Bylaws (Article VII)
ARTICLE VII – AMENDMENTS
1. These Bylaws may be amended by unanimous consent of all Board members, or by a 2/3 majority vote of all Board Members provided notice of the proposed amendment was provided to each Board member at least one week prior to Board meeting.